Finding New Buildings in the Dust of the Old

  • July 20, 2018
  • dominickciccarelli

According to various studies, about 2 million people suffer from the effect of lead poisoning every year. The poisoning often leads to behavioral changes, developmental problems in children, and more. It does not matter whether you live in a good neighborhood or a risky one; according to Dominick Ciccarelli, a licensed general contractor registered with the New York City Department of Buildings, the hazard of lead poisoning is available everywhere. In the past, lead was the main element in paint. This was before studies found its numerous side effects. While it is banned in the country, majority of homes, schools and even buses have lead present in their paint.

Is lead dangerous?

Over the years researches and studies have found out that having lead in the body leads to numerous ailments. While it affects each and every individual differently, the basic effects are problems in the reproductive systems of men and women, damage to the nervous system, damage to the mental as well as physical development of children, and more. As lead tastes sweet, a majority of the children put it in their mouth. Since it is a carcinogenic element, you have to ensure you keep children away from it.

Can lead paint be present in your house?

While the use of lead was banned in 1978, some old and historic homes still have their first coat of paint. This means that there is a high amount of lead present. According to Dominick Ciccarelli, if your lead paint is not chalking, chipping, or peeling, it is rather safe. However, the expert still recommends the following precautions to make sure that your children and other family members are safe:

  • Vacuum your home regularly with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) vacuum cleaner. This will make sure that even the smallest particles are out of your children’s reach. Remember to change the dust bag and throw it out of the home in a safe manner.
  • With children at home, it is advisable to wash feeding bottles, toys, pacifiers or anything that your baby uses or might put his or her mouth.
  • Make sure you get your children tested regularly for lead poisoning.
  • Keep an eye on the paint in your children’s room if they are alone. Do not let them peel, ingest or touch the lead paint. Wash their hands immediately if they do.

If your home has lead paint and you are worried that you and your family members might get lead poisoning, the best thing to do would be to call the professionals and get them to remove the lead paint.